Best Home Safe
Safety seems to have become one of the more pressing concerns nowadays. When leaving the house, it has become natural to lock up all the doors, check all the windows, and for some, make sure that the CCTV is on. But where do you keep your valuables, in case someone does go in?
It has become more common to have a safe at home, or even in the office, to keep your most important belongings and documents in. If you want the confidence that your possessions will not be touched, then it is time to find the best safe for you. A lot of factors come into play when choosing a safe. Choosing a safe requires finding one that suits all your needs.
How Do You Choose a Safe?
There are a multitude of safes now, out in the market. How do you choose the best safe for you? Here are some things to consider:
- Fire resistance – Do you want your safe to be fire resistant? If yes, what fire rating is important to you? These ratings are measured by the hour. The minimum I would suggest would be a safe with a fire rating of at least one hour.
- Water resistance – How important is it to you that your safe is water resistant? Do you live in an area that is flooded a lot? Take note though that if you plan to drill into your safe to bolt it down, it could counter the water resistance effect of the safe.
- Burglar-resistant – This is calculated by the strength of the safe’s exteriors: its doors and walls. It also looks into the locking mechanism of the safe, and as to how portable it is, or how easy to remove from its location. This is also called ‘cash rating’. The higher the cash rating, the more burglar-resistant it is.
- Volume – How roomy or spacious do you want your safe to be? Take note of the items you intend to place in the safe, and imagine how you want them placed in the shelf. Of course, keep in mind that you may want to add items in the future, so you have to give a little allowance. Where are you placing the safe as well? Smaller safes are easier to conceal, but are probably easier to steal as well. Keep this in mind. Safes are for the protection of valuable objects like cash, jewelry, important documents, etc. Do you have room for sentimental items?
- Gun Safe – Not all gun safes are the same. Some gun safes are not fireproof or theft proof. Consider the materials used in constructing the safe, then consider how thick the metal is.
- Portability – Do you plan to take the safe around while you travel, or do you feel safer if it is bolted down at home (whether the floor or the wall)? Determine if it is important to you to be able to carry it out in an emergency.
- Lock – Do you prefer a combination lock or a keyed lock? Combinations may be easier for some since you only need to memorize it, but some feel safer with keys because that’s the only way to open the safe. Combinations can be guessed, but keys can get lost. In any case, most combination safes have override keys included.
- Budget – How much are you willing to spend on a safe? Do you need to purchase the most expensive safe? Do you need a higher grade safe? Are you willing to sacrifice a few cubic inches for a more hard-to-open safe?
- Wall or Floor safe – Take note that safes that are concealed in the wall, or hidden in the floor surrounded by concrete do not provide much fire protection. Wall safes are good for concealment, therefore are good for protection from burglars. The same goes with floor safes. If you plan to use your safe for money or important documents, it may be better to purchase a freestanding safe that has at least a 1-hour fire rating, and can be bolted to the floor or wall.
Benefits of Having a Safe
The fact that you are reading this article means that you are considering buying a safe. But what exactly are the benefits of owning a safe? Isn’t it enough to have multiple locks and an alarm system?
Sometimes, an added security is needed to protect your valuables. Here are some advantages of having a home safe:
- Having a safe prevents other people from handling your valuables. If you have guns and children under one roof, it would be smart to lock your gun up in a safe.
- If in the event that a fire breaks out, all valuables in the safe will be saved from being burnt – given that the safe you buy is fire resistant.
- Your valuables are protected against thieves.
- Placing your valuables and important documents in a safe help in the safekeeping of these item. You know at once where they are, in case you need them.
- If you have multiple safes, you can use them for different valuables such as money, jewelry, bonds, important documents, and memorabilia. It may be unfavorable to put all these in just one safe.
Here Are Our Top 5 Best Safes
AmazonBasics Security Safe
This safe measures 0.5 cubic feet. It comes with an electronic lock and 2 override keys. It is made out of steel, with a carpeted floor. It is neither fireproof nor waterproof. It has 2 live-door bolts, and comes with an adjustable or removable interior shelf. It also includes four bolts to mount the safe to the wall, the floor, or a shelf. Its door is approximately 2 inches thick.
- Very low price
- Great for hand-held firearms and ammo
- Gives quick access
- Not fire-resistant
- Not water-resistant
- Manual does not give clear instructions in changing the code
Overall, a good safe to keep some spare cash, flash drives, passports, and so on. If you own jewels or bonds, it may be better to look for a more secure safe. This safe is more like a bigger hotel safe, so it would be best to treat it that way.
This medium grey combination safe weighs 90 pounds. Its dimensions are 19.3x16.3x17.8 inches. This is a fire and water resistant safe. It is UL classified for fire endurance. This means that the safe can last 1 hour at 1700°F/927°C. It is also ETL verified for 1 hour fire protection of important files, including CD’s, DVD’s, memory sticks, and flash drives. It is also ETL verified for water resistance of up to 8 inches for one day.
This has 4 live-locking bolts, and has a pry-resistant hinge bar. It includes bolt down hardware, and has a multi-position shelf. It also includes a user’s manual, which describes items that will be kept secure in a fire-resistant safe.
- Heavy – not easy to carry
- Can be drilled into the floor
- Need both key and combination to open
- Removable shelf
- Hooks inside the door to hang valuables
- Fire resistant
- Combination cannot be changed – more difficult to memorize
- Condensation forms inside the safe – need to open safe every 2 weeks
- Some parts are made out of plastic
This is best for the more important valuables you want to keep safe. Since it is fire resistant, it would be best to use this safe for your more important valuables.
SentrySafe X055 Security Safe
This solid steel-made safe weighs 15.1 pounds. Its dimensions are 16.5x12.4x10.2”. It has a programmable electronic lock and 2 live-locking bolts. It boasts of a pry-resistant door and body. Its floor is also carpeted to prevent your valuables from scratches. Override keys are included as well.
- Has pre-drilled holes to mount on the wall and on the floor
- Solidly built
- Includes a hidden cable system
- Easy to operate
- Not fire resistant
- Battery compartment has to be open for you to be able to set the combination
- Can be easily opened by children without the combination nor key
Since this can be easily opened, it may not be wise to leave your guns or firearms in this safe. Maybe keep your more child-friendly items in this safe, like important memorabilia, or hard drives.
Paragon 7775 Lock and Safe 1.8 CF Large Electronic Digital Safe Gun Jewelry Home Secure
This safe has a powder coat finish. It is made out of solid steel, and is 19.5”x13.75”x13” or 1.8 cubic feet. There are tamper-proof hinges inside, and the door opens to the right. You can choose the length of the PIN code (3 – 8 numbers), but it also comes with 2 free keys. There are pre-drilled holes inside the safe for you to mount this. It is constructed with solid steel making it difficult to open by hand or mechanical tools.
- Low price
- Comes with four AA batteries
- Easy to program the code
- Very sturdy outside
- Shelf is not welded
- Shelf wobbles
- Loud key pad beep
- Not fire resistant
- Not theft proof
By its name, it boasts of being a gun safe. This is what this safe is best for. Just make sure to secure the shelves inside, or maybe take it out totally.
Sentry Safe X105 Electronic Lock Security Safe
This is a battery operated safe, and includes override keys. It has a carpeted floor to prevent scratching. It also includes a removable shelf, making it more versatile depending on your needs. It fits most laptops, and gives access to a power cord. Its dimensions are 14.6x16.9x8.9inches. A bolt down kit is also included.
- Combination lock so it is easy to open
- Emergency override keys
- Can be bolted from the bottom and/or back
- Not fire resistant
- Relatively easy to open without combination or key
- Not waterproof
- Keypad does not light up, which may make it difficult to see in the dark
Since some have tried opening this without a combination or key (ie., by force), it may be best to keep just some important documents or backup hard drives in this safe. If your child decides to play with this safe, and opens it to find a gun, it may be disastrous.
For its price, it seems best to purchase the AmazonBasics Security Safe, if you’re looking for a very basic safe. Keep in mind though that this will not protect your valuables from fire, water, or other natural calamities. But for its price, it is a very good steal. You will be able to protect your valuables well enough.
If you are looking for a more durable safe that is fire-resistant, the SentrySafe SFW123DSB 1.23 seems like a better deal. It is durable and well built. It will protect your valuables from water and fire, and will also give thieves a difficult time carrying it off. It is a combination lock, and includes keys as well, making it easy for you to open, but difficult for others.
Whichever safe you choose, it should satisfy your needs, and help you feel more secure every time you leave the house.